The Garden is looking to hire a facilitator to work with a mixed age group of children aged roughly 5-12 years in an outdoor setting in the new year in St Werburghs, Bristol. The position is approximately 21 hours per week over three days. The level of pay is to be negotiable and dependent on experience but competitive.
What is The Garden?
The Garden is a new alternative education project that came from but is not exclusive to the home education community in Bristol. Our vision is for a self-directed, play-based space where children can decide how they spend their time and learn to build and maintain a community. Although there is a small indoor space, the setting is largely outdoors in a mainly wooded area.
- Play is the highest form of human expression
- Community is central to wellbeing
- Autonomy is key to fulfilment
- Connection to nature is essential
The facilitator will mainly be responsible for the pastoral care of the children.
- Leading democratic meetings, until the older children are able to run them
- Ensuring children’s physical and emotional needs are met
- Facilitating the children’s projects
- Overseeing conflict resolution and fostering cohesion
- Inspiring without directing the children
We are looking for someone who understands our vision and who feels their values are at least compatible with ours.
- Experience and love of working with children
- Commitment to the values and vision of The Garden
- Ability to empower children to solve problems themselves
- Enjoyment of being outdoors
- Paedatric first aid (ideally with outdoor specialism - this can be arranged if not already held)
- Willingness to visit other similar projects and undertake appropriate training
- Familiarity with the democratic decision making process, as used in democratic schools
- Not attached to any particular pedagogy or educational theories
- Play therapy background
- Understanding of Non-Violent Communication (NVC)
- Forest school experience
This is an especially exciting opportunity as we’re looking for someone to be involved with developing and shaping this project, as part of a network of similar settings and a growing worldwide movement of alternative education.
How to apply
To apply please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th December 2015.